Saturday, January 20, 2018

Review: GE Plug-in EZ Smart Switch

------------ How I rate it -----------

Easy of Setup/Install:

Set up was a breeze after restarting my SmartThings hub after having issues getting the SmartThings app to recognize the new device I was setting up.

Features:

This smart plug seemed to have the same features that most smart plugs I've looked at, but the flow through outlet is a nice touch that I had not seen before.

Design:

Design is simple and will allow for two devices in an outlet.  The manual button is easy to see, but with no back lighting might be hard to see in the dark in a pinch.

Easy of Use:

Very easy to use and configure through the SmartThings app


Today I am going to take a look at the GE Plug in Ez Smart Switch.  The first thing to note about this switch is it does require a smart hub, such as the SmartThings or Wink hubs,  to work.  So if you do not have a smart hub this is not a switch worth considering as you will not be able to communicate with the switch.  Retail on this switch is listed at $39.99, but I was able to find it clearanced out at one of my local Walmart's for $19.99.



Let's get started by taking a look at what came in the box:

There is not much in the box.  You get the instruction manual that comes in several different languages, a small pamphlet that details how easy it is to expand the network of GE devices, and finally the switch itself.


One of the first things I noticed about this switch is it had two outlets and after looking into the manual I found out that only one of them is a controlled outlet.  The other outlet is a pass through outlet that is always on.  This is the first smart outlet I have touched to have this feature and I must say it think it could be useful.  The other feature I like is that you can plug two of these switches into a single out.  A lot of other smart switches may allow you to use both outlets, but a lot of times you can only use one smart switch per outlet due to the design.  Overall I like the design as it is simple and functional.


Set Up:

There is not much to setting up plug in smart switches and most of them it's as simple as plugging it in to the outlet and then setting in up in an app.  This one is pretty much the same way.  I was hooking this switch up to a Samsung SmartThings hub so I just opened up the SmartThings app on my Android phone.
Let's take a look at the set up process with the Samsung SmartThings Hub and app.  Open up the app and sign in, an account is required so if you don't have an account create one to continue.  In order to add new devices select the My Home tab at the bott
om of the screen.  From here click the add button in the top left to start looking for new devices.

At this point I had a little difficulty getting the switch to be discovered.  The documentation says to hit the power button and then it will be discover able.  In the end I ended up restarting the SmartThings hub and starting the process again and it was able to discover the new switch quickly.  Another thing to look at if you do run into trouble with pairing is to follow the manual pairing process that is available at the bottom of the screen.  This will let you find the device you want to connect and try to pair it with the app having more information about what it is looking for.

Once it is added you can assign the device a unique name.  You can add it to a room so that when you want to turn all the devices on or off in a room the new device will be included.  At this point you will also be able to create schedules for the device within the SmartThings app.  You also have some other automation options if you take a look at IFTTT.com and see what other creative things you can do.

Conclusion: 

Overall this smart plug works well and has a very functional design.  The flow through outlet is a plus, but not sure it justifies the $40 retail price and need to already have a smart hub.  This is not a plug I would recommend as a first purchase when diving into the smart home automation arena.  If you bought a hub and were looking for additional smart plugs then I would be more willing to recommend this model.  If you can find them on sale and already have a hub then I would recommend picking them up. 

If your not sure what Z-Wave is you can find more information here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out what's popular!!!